Hotel Cancellation Policy and Publishing Contract terms (was IETF 98 Registration and Hotel Reservations Open!)

2016-11-30 10:59:13
IAOC --

On 11/30/16 10:04, IETF Secretariat wrote:
        1. Swissotel Chicago (Headquarters Hotel, block of 450 rooms)
        Room Rate:  $169/$199 USD. Includes in-room high-speed
        Internet. Room rates DO NOT include a daily breakfast buffet.
        Occupancy tax of 17.4% (taxes subject to change) is excluded from
        the above prices.
        Reservation Cutoff Date: 7 March 2017
        Cancel with No Penalty: 48 hours prior to arrival

The hotel confirmations that Swissotel are sending out include the statement "Cancellation policy 72 hours prior to arrival," which is at odds with the text the secretariat sent out. Can you confirm which policy will be honored by the hotel?

As I've done many times in the past, I again call for the IAOC to publish the exact language of any nonconfidential contract terms so as to protect participants who choose to take advantage of the IETF negotiated terms. Without knowing what has been negotiated, it's difficult to know that such terms are being honored by the hotel. Such publication would make the kind of clarification I ask for above unnecessary.

/a