Re: Hotel Cancellation Policy and Publishing Contract terms (was IETF 98 Registration and Hotel Reservations Open!)

2016-11-30 11:30:53
Adam,

Inline:

On Nov 30, 2016, at 8:58 AM, Adam Roach <adam(_at_)nostrum(_dot_)com> wrote:

IAOC --

On 11/30/16 10:04, IETF Secretariat wrote:
     1. Swissotel Chicago (Headquarters Hotel, block of 450 rooms)
     Room Rate:  $169/$199 USD. Includes in-room high-speed
     Internet. Room rates DO NOT include a daily breakfast buffet.
     Occupancy tax of 17.4% (taxes subject to change) is excluded from
     the above prices.
     Reservation Cutoff Date: 7 March 2017
     Cancel with No Penalty: 48 hours prior to arrival

The hotel confirmations that Swissotel are sending out include the statement
"Cancellation policy 72 hours prior to arrival," which is at odds with the
text the secretariat sent out. Can you confirm which policy will be honored
by the hotel?

Apologies for the confusion. Marcia is working with the hotel to have them
update their confirmation message. Our contract states that attendees may
cancel with no penally up to 48 hours in advance.

As I've done many times in the past, I again call for the IAOC to publish the
exact language of any nonconfidential contract terms so as to protect
participants who choose to take advantage of the IETF negotiated terms.
Without knowing what has been negotiated, it's difficult to know that such
terms are being honored by the hotel. Such publication would make the kind of
clarification I ask for above unnecessary.

The cancellation information posted at https://ietf.org/meeting/98/hotel.html
is actually taken directly from the contract itself. I’ve added a contract
section number and quotes to make that more clear. The site now says:

Guest Cancellation:
From Section 4.10 of the contract:

"Individuals may cancel a reservation without penalty until 48 hours prior to
check-in/arrival. In case of cancellation less than 48 hours prior to
check-in/arrival or no-show, the Hotel may charge the individual one night's
stay as a cancellation fee."

Hope that helps.
-Alexa

/a

Alexa Morris / Executive Director / IETF
+1.510.492.4001
Email: amorris(_at_)amsl(_dot_)com