Re: Gen-ART IETF Last Call review of draft-ietf-justfont-toplevel-03

2016-12-08 12:45:55

On 2016-10-30 18:18:29, Dale R. Worley <worley(_at_)ariadne(_dot_)com> wrote:

7.5. WOFF 1.0

Macintosh Universal Type Identifier code: "org.w3c.woff"

Is this part of a media type registration? (If so, is it required for
all "font" subtypes?)
Chris Lilley:

I opened an issue on Macintosh type codes:
https://github.com/svgeesus/ietf-justfont/issues/26

There are two Apple-specific systems: the old four-character Macintosh Type
Codes mentioned in the Media Types registration template, which were in use up
to Mac OS 9 but are no longer used, and the newer Universal Type Identifiers
used in OS X.

I raised the issue of which to use (on media-types(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org)

and got a swift response from Ned Freed suggesting that the legacy Macintosh
Type Codes were of little value, and that adding the current Macintosh  UTI was
probably beneficial.

In response, I checked all the  Macintosh Type Codes in the current document;
they all say "(no code specified)" which seems optimal.

I also looked at the Apple documentation for UTIs. There are two forms, the
'public' ones defined by Apple and the extensible, java-style reverse DNS ones
for other organisations.
https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/understanding_utis/understand_utis_conc/understand_utis_conc.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001319-CH202-CHDHIJDE

There is a registry of the public ones, including font-related UTIs like
public.truetype-font and so on
https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/Miscellaneous/Reference/UTIRef/Articles/System-DeclaredUniformTypeIdentifiers.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40009259-SW1

I added these to the current document, so all font subtypes now have this
information.

I have thus closed this issue.

--
Chris Lilley