Re: Realistic responses to DMARC

2016-12-17 23:58:54
On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 02:28:23AM -0000, John Levine wrote:
If we tell people, sorry, you can't participate in the IETF using the
giant mail providers you use for everything else, what do you expect
the response to be?  Wow, what a bunch of noble principled idealists,
or wow, I don't have time for this nonsense, maybe I'll go work on
some open source stuff on github instead.  We have enough trouble
recruiting people now without putting more roadblocks in their way.

Um, you're assuming that mailing lists serving open source projects
will either (a) knuckle under to the demands of DMARC, or (b) be
willing to inflict the pain caused by DMARC-workarounds on their
users, aren't you?

I can think of one major open source project (namely, the Linux
kernel) which has refused to do either.

                                - Ted