Re: [dispatch] Review of draft-mohali-dispatch-cause-for-service-number-12

2016-12-20 17:49:23
On 20 Dec 2016, at 17:27, Robert Sparks wrote:

I still think the shepherd's writeup caught this correctly:

    draft-mohali-dispatch-service-number-translation
    does not register a URI parameter; it just adds a reference
    to an existing registration. The decision to keep these
    documents informational is not intended to set precedent;
    RFC 5727 remains the BCP for the SIP change process.

I personally see no win in trying to force this document to be PS (and fixing the things in it, and in what 3gpp plans to do with it to let it fly as PS) or in changing the registry at this point. This has an odor, but it is not really making the world worse, and the energy that it would require from ours and the 3gpp communities to remove the odor does not strike me as the right place to make our investements.

Hold your noses and let this go please.

In case it has been unclear from my other comments, this is my preference as an individual as well.

One thing for people to keep in mind is that, as mentioned in the quote above, all the registration change does is add this draft to the references for the entry that 4458 originally registered. Given that this draft updates 4458, that seems appropriate. The fact that 4458 registered that incorrectly is a problem we might fix someday, but that doesn't mean _this_ draft has to fix it.

One more general comment inline below:

RjS

[...]

Keep in mind that the registry is not the only concern mentioned so far. Both 4458 and -mohali- define protocol. Reviewers have objected to that as well.
We have _MANY_ Informational documents that define protocol. That, by itself, is not the metric for "not Informational".

Would people find the informational status more palatable if the draft clarified that this is for 3GPP, and that we don't endorse it for other contexts?