Re: [IETF] DMARC methods in mailman

2016-12-26 04:35:48
---- Original Message -----
From: "Viktor Dukhovni" <ietf-dane(_at_)dukhovni(_dot_)org>
To: "IETF general list" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Saturday, December 24, 2016 6:45 PM

Sure, but, ultimately, what's the goal of this discussion?  Presumably
some workable configuration of the list managers that serves the needs
of IETF list members (possibly with some adjustment of how
participants
interact with the lists).

So, if this discussion is to get anywhere, there needs to emerge a
consensus on the usability requirements for the lists.  At least
the following need to be understood:

   1. Must WG lists add [WG] subject tags?  Or can this be left to
      subscriber etiquette?

   2. Are message footers are a requirement?

   3. Is modification of the "From" header acceptable?

Discussion of whether to exclude subscribers from domains with
DMARC policy are not necessary if some acceptable combination
of the choices in 1, 2, 3 (or perhaps other options I left out)
works with DMARC and retains list usability.

As I mentioned before, for me, the most usable option is avoiding
message modification of any kind, which leaves the origin DKIM
signature valid.  I've not seen anyone comment on whether that's
workable for IETF WG lists (it works well enough for *this* list).

The most attractive mail lists for me are ones that always modify
messages, namely removing the mountain of HTML and leaving just the
text/plain.  I wish that all WG Chairs exercised that option.  Only
today, on another list, I saw a well-respected contributor say
"Oh, how I hate HTML emails!"
Yes.

I note too that e-mails in unusual dialects appear to get footers added
in text/plain, to identify which list they are on.

I believe that this does not invalid the origin DKIM signature, so I see
the criterion as always modifying messages but not in a way that
invalids DKIM signatures.

Tom Petch

Viktor.