Re: Predictable Internet Time

2017-01-03 13:25:16

--On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 20:03 +0100 Eliot Lear
<lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 1/3/17 7:24 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
Umm, my proposal was to ignore the opinion of the ITU in this
matter as in everything else.

That doesn't work in all cases because there are often
applications that require that the clock time on a device not
vary from UTC by some set amount.  I think they're fixing for
a big UTC leap second shindig in the next few years, anyway.

Also, FWIW, UTC is a CCIR/ITU-R specification, not an ITU-T one.
If one wanted to claim that we ignore the opinion of the latter,
it would still be hyperbole, but perhaps understandable.  If we
were to start ignoring ITU-$ recommendations, a good deal of our
Layer 1 and 2 infrastructure would stop working.  I assume that
is not considered a desirable outcome independent of the
discussions we are having about time.

   john