Re: License File for Open Source Repositories

2017-01-04 15:27:52

        I have no issues with the license text, but will suggest a
clarification or
two. We have been using basically the same text for IETF models on the Yang
repo on github for about
2 years with no issues.   I’ll note that that we hashed through these in great
detail with the
netmod/conf community and arrived at how we operate. We also work with the
IEEE/MEF/ODL communities
on the same repo, and everyone seems to get along happily with these rules in
place. The license
statement we have been using for about 2 years is available here if you are
interested.

        https://github.com/YangModels/yang

        The first clarification I think is necessary is around how “repository”
is
defined. In the case of github, that might be taken to mean the *entire*
repository, which
practically speaking is not how things work, at least in our case because the
repository
holds files created by various organizations (and vendors for that matter).
Instead, the approach we
have taken is to require that each main/top-level subdirectory contain a
license statement
that applies to all files and subdirectories therein. Committers explicitly
agree to those terms
by virtue of checking in a file (or posting a comment/issue on that file).

        This also reveals a finer point about the license statement pertaining
to comments.
Again, our statement defines comments as falling under whatever licensing terms
are defined
for the file in question.  This is a gray area in our case due to having
multiple files that fall under
multiple licenses. So for example, one comment about one file might refer to
another file covered by
another license.  Does that mean that now the first file falls under the
licensing terms of the other
file?  Let me give you an example. We have IEEE models that do rely on advice
given from Yang doctors
either explicitly or via references to some of the guiding documents/RFCs that
exist. In discussing the
IEEE model, there might be a discussion around such a recommendation for how to
build a model. In this
case, is this IEEE model suddenly now under the IETF’s license (or the part of
the model being discussed)?
The working assumption by us is that it is not. However, this is something you
might want to clarify.

        —Tom

On Jan 4, 2017:11:20 AM, at 11:20 AM, IETF Chair <chair(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>