Re: Last Call: <draft-harkins-owe-05.txt> (Opportunistic Wireless Encryption) to Informational RFC

2017-01-16 10:36:04

Hi Dan, Warren,

The (extended) last call for this is now over.

There were minor comments from the gen-art [1] and opsdir
reviews (not sent to a list?) and some additional editorial
comments received offlist (from IEEE folks I believe).

As promised, I also asked some IEEE folks about this and got
one substantive comment, which is below. (The author of that
didn't yet say yes when I asked if it was ok to forward their
email, so I'll post the comment itself and send a link to this
to the author, who can then decide to engage or not.) The
comment was:

"It's possible to do this via EAP, either as a new EAP method
implementing OWE or as an extension to EAP-TLS wherein client certs are
not required and a DH/DHE TLS ciphersuite is used. These approaches are
squarely within IETF's jurisdiction.  Why not go that route?  Indeed
there are a couple extra round trips required in the protocol, but you
don't commit any standardization cardinal sins along the way. "

I don't think any of the above are fatal to proceeding but would
like if Dan and/or Warren can respond to those comments and submit
a revised ID if one is needed. Assuming nothing major ensues as a
result I'll put this draft on an upcoming IESG telechat.

Cheers,
S.

[1] https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg100064.html