Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-lamps-eai-addresses-05.txt> (Internationalized Email Addresses in X.509 certificates) to Proposed Standard

2017-01-23 15:50:36
On 23 Jan 2017, at 14:40, Alexey Melnikov wrote:

Thank you for your thorough review! My comments/answers below:

I have a few comments as well. Basically I agree with what John writes, but let
me add some additional spice.

(3) A MUST NOT requirement on the use of A-labels has often
been problematic because, as far as a protocol that does not
support IDNA is concerned, they are ordinary labels conforming
to the "preferred syntax" of RFC 1034/1035 (commonly known as
"LDH syntax").  As important, it is easily possible to construct
strings that look (lexically) like A-labels but are actually not
A-labels.   If the desire is to prevent the use of anything but
normal (i.e., not IDNA) LDH labels and U-labels, the restriction
that is probably needed is either "no label starting in 'xn--'"
or "no label starting in two letters followed by two
hyphen-minus characters".

Requiring NR-LDH restrictions
probably solves the problem (although I'm not sure what "solely
ASCII character labels" means -- see (2) above) but requires
much more specific knowledge of the IDNA2008 protocol set
(particularly RFC 5890 in this case) than I predict readers of
this document will have.  See RFC 5890 and 5894 for more
discussion on this issue and other recent correspondence about
confusing and contradictory usage of "IDN" and "IDNA" and the
associated risks for additional details and risk descriptions.

I think this needs to be discussed a bit more in the LAMPS WG, but you have a
good point here.

I would extend to 'starting in "XX--" where X can be any ascii character"
because who knows whether we need a completely different prefix one day.

Or you should explicitly note that ascii-only mailboxes do imply the litteral
value and those strings MUST NOT be interpreted as A-Labels.

(5) It may be worth being explicit that there is no
normalization or case-folding permitted with the local-part.
The current text does say that but it may not be obvious to
someone not thoroughly familiar with other specs.

Do you have a suggestion where this should be clarified?

What about here in section 4 (which I presume is referenced implicitly, or
similar places where it is noted some transformation is done (between A-Labels
and U-Labels):

OLD:

In setup for SmtpUtf8Mailbox, the email address local-part MUST be converted to
UTF-8 if it is not already.

NEW:

In setup for SmtpUtf8Mailbox, the email address local-part MUST be converted to
UTF-8 if it is not already. The local-part MUST NOT be transformed in any way,
for example by doing case folding or normalization of any kind.

   Patrik