Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-lamps-eai-addresses-05.txt> (Internationalized Email Addresses in X.509 certificates) to Proposed Standard

2017-01-24 13:31:48
I reread the spec, which was a good idea.  It says the domain
names can contain U-labels and NR-LDH ASCII labels, which
seems correct.  That forbids both A-labels and dodgy stuff
that looks like A-labels but isn't.

Thanks.  That is consistent with my impression.   My concern is
that the language and terminology won't make it clear about what
is being specified unless someone is _really_ familiar with IDNA
and the "EAI" specs.   It meshes with Patrik's concern that the
wording of the spec won't be clear to someone who is not _very_
good with English.

My impression is that there is little problem with the intended
underlying spec, but the document text needs some tuning.

Agreed.  The subsequent section on comparing names would likely
benefit from clearer instructions, e.g.

a) if the domain contains A-labels, turn them into U-labels
b) if the domain still contains R-LDH labels, stop, not a valid name.
c) if the domain contains NR-LDH labels, make them all the same case
d) do a straight byte comparison of the addresses

R's,
John