Re: IPv4 outage at next IETF in Chicago

2017-01-24 18:33:37
On 25/01/2017 12:11, Franck Martin wrote:
I think it is time to move to the next level of IPv6 deployment.

Ideally the IETF WiFi network should now only provide the following 2
networks:
1)IPv6-only
2)IPv6-only with NAT64

The later should be the default network.

However you would say, well some stuff will break, some non technical people
will use the IETF network and may have a bad experience, etc...

So to be conservative but at the same time futurist and like it was done a
few years back, why not create again an IPv4 outage of a few hours where the
above 2 networks would be the only networks available?

That would be a good way of damaging IETF productivity for a few hours.

And for what? Moving away from the mainstream coexistence mechanism (dual
stack),
to a mechanism known to be intrinsically defective (NAT). I don't see the point.

IPv6-only is a *very* long term goal for campus/enterprise networks, which the
IETF
network resembles. Our realistic goal today is for enterprise networks to
achieve
dual-stack coexistence, and most enterprise network are nowhere near that point
yet.

There is no point in leading from so far out in front that nobody else can
see you.

   Brian

Depending on results, this outage could be expanded to a full day at the
following meeting, until the IPv4 network is totally removed from the WiFi?