Re: IPv4 outage at next IETF in Chicago

2017-01-24 22:15:54

In message <F04ED1585899D842B482E7ADCA581B8459489BA1@newserver.arneill-py.local
, Michel Py writes:
Mark Andrews wrote :
But Microsoft aren't the only ones that are looking to deploy IPv6-only d=
ue to not
having enough IPv4 addresses internally.  There is also Google, Facebook =

Your record has a groove. Been reading this for 15 years.

The IETF has produced multiple solutions that provide IPv4 as a service w=
ith IPv6-only to the node.=20
All of them require IPv6 nodes and/or applications to be updated to be ge=
nerally useful.

I run an IPv4-only network.

And there are IPv4 as a service access solutions for that network.

I like Brian Carpenter's pragmatism. The IPv6-only dream only exists in
the IETF ivory tower.

The Mac I'm using is running in IPv6 only mode at the moment (just
turned IPv6 off in network managment panel).  I can get to the
corporate mail servers.  I can get to all the corporate web sites.
Jabber works from it.  I can get to the git repositories.

If my ISP would give me IPv6 I could get away without IPv4 for
almost all my work activities.

Now if Google would give their DNS servers AAAA addresses I could
get to the rest of their servers.  Come on Google your 99.9% of the
way there.

Facebook is reachable.

IPv6 only is definitely achievable.

Mark

Michel.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka(_at_)isc(_dot_)org