Re: IPv4 outage at next IETF in Chicago

2017-01-25 12:28:19
On 24 January 2017 at 18:32, Christian Huitema <huitema(_at_)huitema(_dot_)net>
wrote:

Language apart, there is a serious question here. Did the IETF produce the
right standards for IPv6 only networks? Is NAT64/DNS64 useful or harmful?
What else are we missing? It seems that the IETF should try to answer that
sooner rather than later. The IETF culture, besides the flowery language,
encourages practical engineering and experimentation over speculation. So,
yes, maybe we should do some practical experimentation, just like Franck
Martin is proposing.

Experimentation is good.  But don't do it on the main IETF network, as
Franck is suggesting.  That's what we have the v6-only SSID and others are
for.

IETF participants have operational responsibilities.  Any of these "let's
run an experiment on the main access network!" ideas that have a potential
to break anyone's applications are bad ideas.  Such experiments need to be
run on experimental networks.