Re: [6tisch] Last Call: <draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-17.txt> (Minimal 6TiSCH Configuration) to Best Current Practice

2017-01-31 01:22:18
Dear Ralph,

thanks for your comments. Let me answer inline some of your questions:

I've reviewed draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-19.  Thank you to the authors and
the WG for considering the input from my earlier reviews and careful
revision of the document to address that input.

In general, I think the document is now almost ready for publication.  The
major points from my review of -17 have been addressed.

I do have a few minor points for the authors and WG to consider:

Does the WG have consensus that IPv6 address selection, prefix
advertisement, and the details of ND need not be addressed in this
document?

I don't see a default value for EB_PERIOD defined anywhere.  Is such a
definition needed?

The EB_PERIOD determines the join time and impacts energy consumption. The
value is a trade-off of this two elements according to the network
administrator, as shorter the EB period more energy is used but sooner the
nodes join the network. This number does not affect different vendor nodes
aiming to join the same network (in terms of inter-operability). For us
this is more a network policy, IMHO defining a default value would not fit
most of the cases.

Section 5.2 requires implementation of RPL non-storing mode and recommends
implementation of storing mode.  How does a node know whether RPL is being
used in non-storing or storing mode?

This is detected by the MOP field in the DIO. When a DIO is received the
MOP is checked. According to RF6550

   Mode of Operation (MOP): The Mode of Operation (MOP) field identifies
         the mode of operation of the RPL Instance as administratively
         provisioned at and distributed by the DODAG root.  All nodes
         who join the DODAG must be able to honor the MOP in order to
         fully participate as a router, or else they must only join as a
         leaf.  MOP is encoded as in the figure below:

- Ralph

regards,
Xavi
--
Dr. Xavier Vilajosana
Wireless Networks Lab

*Internet Interdisciplinary Institute (IN3)Professor*
(+34) 646 633 681
xvilajosana(_at_)uoc(_dot_)edu <usuari(_at_)uoc(_dot_)edu>
http://xvilajosana.org
http://wine.rdi.uoc.edu
Parc Mediterrani de la Tecnologia
Av Carl Friedrich Gauss 5, B3 Building
08860 Castelldefels (Barcelona). Catalonia. Spain
[image: Universitat Oberta de Catalunya]
­