Re: [Recentattendees] Background on Singapore go/no go for IETF 100

2017-01-31 13:00:06

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

of actual US situation, I think the chances were so high, that we made a
mistake going to Chicago. As it may affect a significant % of
participants.

Perhaps you knew the chances were high, but the policital establishment
didn't share your insight.

And while I agree that some conditions would warrant cancelation of a
contract, exactly how would that contract be written that would be
acceptable to all parties that would allow for cancelation because a
peaceful transition of power brought policies that you don't like.

The percentage of likely participants that will be effected? What would
that percentage be? Would the inconvenience of implementing Brexit result
in a cancelation trigger?

One way to avoid liability for individual cancelation expenses is to warn
everyone to purchase their own insurance OR not commit well in advance.

In the end, no matter where the IETF schedules a meeting a year or more in
advance, there might be an issue resulting in cancelation. A major earth
quake or hurricane could make the venue impossible. As could the political
situation though the litmus test would be harder.

Providing first class remote paricipation from several locations worldwide
would be awesome AND expensive. Would folks be willing to pay the same
registration fee to use such facilities as attending? I worked for a
company with such facilities so I know it is possible.

David Morris