Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-rfc2460bis-08.txt> (Internet Protocol, Version 6 (IPv6) Specification) to Internet Standard

2017-02-02 18:26:59
Hi Fernando,

On 02/02/2017 22:14, Fernando Gont wrote:
The current impossibility to parse an IPv6 header chain that includes
unknown Next Header values

Wait... you're talking about parsing by intermediate systems. The destination
node either can understand the new Next Header or transport protocol,
or it can't. That's fine, and is the intended result.

results in concrete implications for the
extensibility of the IPv6 protocol, and the deployability of new
transport protocols.  Namely,

 o  New IPv6 extension headers cannot be incrementally deployed.

 o  New transport protocols cannot be incrementally deployed.

In both cases, add "in the presence of interfering middleboxes".

This is not new. For a document moving from PS to Standard, it is
not something we can change.

Note, I am all for coming back to this problem, after we have the
Internet Standard in place. Maybe we can fix it or maybe we can't,
but it's IMHO off topic here.

Regards
    Brian