Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-rfc2460bis-08.txt> (Internet Protocol, Version 6 (IPv6) Specification) to Internet Standard

2017-02-03 13:41:51
On 3 Feb 2017, at 12:22, otroan(_at_)employees(_dot_)org wrote:

are we re-spinning the debate on a WG-agreed text ?

<tp>

Yes, and I am sure that that is exactly what is intended.

Then let's encourage people outside of 6man, with other points of view, and other arguments to come forward.

A re-run of the discussions already had in 6man with the same arguments and the same participants doesn't seem useful.

For a brief (sic) overview take a look at 672 messages already on the topic:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/search/?q=header+insertion&f_list=ipv6

O.

Might I, as a relatively disinterested observer of this discussion, humbly[1] suggest that pointing the IETF list to a 672-message thread is not a way to avoid re-running the discussion "with the same arguments and the same participants". It would be significantly more useful if you, as chair and the caller of the (apparently rough) consensus summarized the issue, explained what you took the objection to be, and told us what you saw as the replies to those objections that convinced you that WG had properly considered the issue and that there was (rough) WG consensus to go with the text you ended up with. Then folks who think you called it wrong can explain the essential point they think you missed when you made that call. Having the rest of us re-create your evaluation of the consensus by reading 672 messages is, at best, inefficient.

Cheers,

pr

[1] The non-humble version includes a reference to RFC 7282, sections 2 and 3.

--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478