Re: [Slim] IETF last call for draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language (Section 5.4)

2017-02-14 16:40:13
At 10:05 AM -0800 2/14/17, Randy Presuhn wrote:

 Hi -

 On 2/14/2017 9:40 AM, Randall Gellens wrote:
 At 11:01 AM +0100 2/14/17, Gunnar Hellström wrote:

  My proposal for a reworded section 5.4 is:

  5.4.  Unusual language indications

  It is possible to specify an unusual indication where the language
  specified may look unexpected for the media type.

  For such cases the following guidance SHALL be applied for the
 humintlang attributes used in these situations.

  1.    A view of a speaking person in the video stream SHALL, when it
 has relevance for speech perception, be indicated by a Language-Tag
 for spoken/written language with the "Zxxx" script subtag to indicate
 that the contents is not written.

  2.    Text captions included in the video stream SHALL be indicated
 by a Language-Tag for spoken/written language.

  3.    Any approximate representation of sign language or
 fingerspelling in the text media stream SHALL be indicated by a
 Language-Tag for a sign language in text media.

  4.    When sign language related audio from a person using sign
 language is of importance for language communication, this SHALL be
 indicated by a Language-Tag for a sign language in audio media.

 [RG] As I said, I think we should avoid specifying this until we have
 deployment experience.

 From a process perspective, it's far easier to remove constraints
 as a specification advances than it is to add them.

Which supports the text I proposed on Monday:

   Specifying a non-signed language tag for a video media stream, or a
   signed language tag for a non-video media stream, is not defined.  An
   offer with such a combination SHOULD NOT be created.  If such an
   offer is received, the receiver MAY ignore the language specified.

This proposed text has a mild constraint to not include such combinations. By using "SHOULD NOT" and "MAY" we allow cooperating implementations to use it without imposing semantic implications now that might not be what we need in the future. After we have some experience, we can either use the existing attributes and language tags to impose meanings as Gunnar suggests, or we might find we need a different mechanism that has more functionality.

--
Randall Gellens
The solution to a problem changes the nature of the problem.