Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-rfc4291bis-07.txt> (IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture) to Internet Standard

2017-02-23 00:06:00
On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 1:28 PM, Randy Bush <randy(_at_)psg(_dot_)com> wrote:

the IETF and 6man absolutely have the ability to change the standard,
but it should follow the proper process: write a draft, get consensus,

that is the process we are currently in.  but there seems to be serious
disagreement over the draft.

AIUI the goal of the process is to reclassify the current specification.
That severely restricts the types of changes that are possible. That is the
basis on which this document gained WG consensus and reached IETF last call.

If we want to say that we're no longer reclassifying the current
specification but are instead opening the door to bigger changes, then the
document should go back to the WG for further work because the existing WG
consensus was based on the stated goal of reclassifying the document.