Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-rfc4291bis-07.txt> (IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture) to Internet Standard

2017-02-23 02:59:18

Le 23/02/2017 à 05:28, Randy Bush a écrit :
the IETF and 6man absolutely have the ability to change the
standard, but it should follow the proper process: write a draft,
get consensus,

that is the process we are currently in.  but there seems to be
serious disagreement over the draft.

There was an initiative at a time to write such drafts.

But because of opposition from one single person many other persons
declined such effort.  The wisdom at that time was that it cant get
through.  The result of that effort was deviation into 'why64' RFC
explaining 64 is good, and the 'CIDR routing' RFC which does not oppose
SLAAC/Ethernet/64.

There were suggestions to the new IPv6-over-foo I-Ds derived from RFC2464 to relax the IID length away from 64. The advice was that it could not never get through 6man, better stay with that 64 limit. As if
everything should be Ethernet in this world.

Given that, what would be the incentives to write yet another draft? Only to kill it later?

Alex

randy