Re: [v6ops] draft-ietf-6man-rfc4291bis prohibiting non-/64 subnets

2017-02-24 07:13:42
On Fri, 24 Feb 2017, Pierre Pfister wrote:

At least Linux, Windows, Apple, Cisco, and probably all mature IPv6 stacks, would let you configure prefixes of length different than 64.

I just came back from PTO not reading IETF email for 5-6 weeks, and read up on this thread.

I just want to state my opinion that whatever text we come up with should reflect current operational reality, in that SLAAC A=1 only works on /64, and that people use all kinds of subnet sizes when manually configuring interfaces.

If current code doesn't treat 000::/3 in any special case, then documents should reflect this.

Mandating /64 only for any IPv6 use case doesn't reflect reality as I see it. I don't want to see A=1 /64 SLAAC requirement relaxed either.

I just want the -bis document to reflect what is currently in the field and we know works. Nothing more, nothing less.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike(_at_)swm(_dot_)pp(_dot_)se