Re: [v6ops] draft-ietf-6man-rfc4291bis prohibiting non-/64 subnets

2017-02-24 09:49:08

Le 24/02/2017 à 15:59, Christopher Morrow a écrit :

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 9:09 AM, Alexandre Petrescu
<alexandre(_dot_)petrescu(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com
<mailto:alexandre(_dot_)petrescu(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>>
 wrote:

A question to Windows is the following: what prefixlen does it set
when the end user manually assigns an address on an interface without
specifiying a prefixlen?

I don't think this matters... 'end users' will in almost all cases
just attach and get connectivity.

Let me go next in cycle: what does linux do when one ifconfig add an
IPv6 address without telling the plen?  Is it adding an entry in the rt
table?  Which plen?  Is that plen normal?

If they are in a place where someone says: "Hey, you should go
if/ipconfig ...." then .. they are 'consenting adults' and can do
whatever they please.

I assume you assume that ip/ifconfig by consenting adults means the
adults type a plen in the CLI, right?

That makes it mandatory that the CLI _requires_ a plen, right?  That CLI
should not allow silence for a plen parameter.

Because silent plen means 64.  And I dont think it's right to assume a
by-default 64 plen.  Because many people think 64 is right and others
think it's wrong, there does not seem to be a commonly agreed 'by
default' value for plen.

Alex

again the proposed text (now 175+ messages back) really covers this
already..