Re: Proposed IETF Statement Concerning Personal Data for Review

2017-02-27 11:44:59

Some comments:

- "Parties" is a horribly legalistic term (esp. given that
the IETF isn't a legal thing really), I'd much prefer less
legalistic terms be used

- "home address" huh? How do you know where people live?
I think you mean any address supplied, but then in fact we
don't make that public that I recall - what's up there?

- "mailing list managed by the Parties" some WG lists are
not thusly managed still, are all bets off for those?
I've also managed some lists (e.g. TPC lists for IAB
workshops) that'd not clearly fit under here but maybe
should.

- "We do not make such information available to the
public." huh? Shouldn't we be saying something to the
effect that we'll not share that with anyone unless
we're forced to? (Including CF in "forced" as far as
that applies.) Ah, you do say that later, maybe try
a forward reference or align these better.

- "flash cookies, local storage" should be examples as
they'll be (or already are) outmoded (e.g indexeddb is
the new local storage or was last I looked;-)

- "not intended for use by children under 13" - we don't
care, why not say that instead of trying to avoid some
non-existent liability (which is how it looks) - maybe
s/intended for/aimed at/ would be better? (The rest of
the para is fine)

- compliance - can we have a warrant canary? If not, why
not? I think I asked about this before (not 100% sure
if that was public or just chatting with someone)

- I'm also quite surprised there's nothing that has to
be said about CF here - does that mean that they do not
engage in anything that'd violate this practice with
data/traffic related to IETFers? (I may also have asked
about that too:-)

Thanks,
S.