Re: [Json] secdir review of draft-ietf-jsonbis-rfc7159bis-03

2017-03-13 10:56:57
+1000

Grüße, Carsten

On 13 Mar 2017, at 08:51, Martin J. Dürst
<duerst(_at_)it(_dot_)aoyama(_dot_)ac(_dot_)jp> wrote:

On 2017/03/13 15:23, Julian Reschke wrote:
On 2017-03-13 00:07, Elwyn Davies wrote:

Does the WG really want to revisit the anguished discussions that
resulted in the changes to Section 8.1 of draft-ietf-json-rfc4627bis
between versions 07 and 08 back in late November 2013?

See https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/json/current/msg02053.html and
many, many messages beore this.

No, but on the other hand, we should acknowledge that apparently the
text both about what's mandatory and how auto detection works is not as
clear as it should.

It looks to me as if at the time of the above message in the WG, the chairs
were successful in presenting a consensus, probably at a stage when the
participants in the discussion where getting tired.

It seems that when put in the wider context of the IETF, that compromise now
looks somewhat shaky.

My personal opinion is that we could try to fix this by changing the
following:

 JSON text SHALL be encoded in UTF-8, UTF-16, or UTF-32 [UNICODE]
 (Section 3).  The default encoding is UTF-8, and JSON texts that are
 encoded in UTF-8 are interoperable in the sense that they will be
 read successfully by the maximum number of implementations; there are
 many implementations that cannot successfully read texts in other
 encodings (such as UTF-16 and UTF-32).

to something like the following:

 JSON text SHOULD be encoded in UTF-8 [UNICODE]
 (Section 3).  JSON texts that are
 encoded in UTF-8 are interoperable in the sense that they will be
 read successfully by the maximum number of implementations.

 There are
 many implementations that cannot successfully read texts in other
 encodings (such as UTF-16 and UTF-32). JSON text MAY be encoded in
 UTF-16 or UTF-32 [UNICODE] (Section 3) if the sender is sure that
 the intended recipients can read them.

That should then go together with a MIME registration that only lists UTF-8.

Regards,   Martin.