Re: [Json] secdir review of draft-ietf-jsonbis-rfc7159bis-03

2017-03-14 08:59:22
On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 3:57 PM, Carsten Bormann <cabo(_at_)tzi(_dot_)org>
wrote:

Consistency is the hobgoblin of the little minds.

The actual quotation says "foolish consistency".  But not all consistency
is foolish.

(Apparently, not having that nonsense in there did not hurt for 7159?
If people want to implement something useless and cannot figure this stuff
out, should we help them?)

Putting back any form of apparent support for UTF-16 and UTF-32 is a
regression.

In my opinion, we should either take all references to UTF-16 or UTF-32
out, or add back a correct detection algorithm. UTF-8 is what is actually
interoperable, and interoperability is what RFCs are supposed to be all
about.