Re: draft-dolson-plus-middlebox-benefits (was RE: Review of draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-09)

2017-04-11 03:52:16

Hi Med,

On 11/04/17 09:15, mohamed(_dot_)boucadair(_at_)orange(_dot_)com wrote:
I hope that the IETF never publishes
draft-dolson-plus-middlebox-benefits; it makes claims about the
benefits of specific solutions for different use cases with the
goal of justifying those solutions.

[Med] I'm afraid this is speculating about the intent of
draft-dolson. Assured this is not the purpose of that document. The
motivation is to document current practices without including any
recommendation or claiming these solutions are superior to others.

Just to note that I completely agree with Martin's interpretation
of the thrust of this draft and I totally fail to see how your
argument above can be justified given that draft title, abstract
and even filename (and also the content;-). When the abstract
says "This document summarizes benefits" then I cannot interpret
that as other than being intended to justify the uses described.

A fairly thorough re-write to aim to describe the pros and cons
would be a different and more useful document. Similarly a draft
that strives to neutrally describe existing reality could maybe
be useful (*) but one that only describes middlebox friends with
"benefits" is not IMO beneficial ;-)

Cheers,
S.

(*) That is the argument for draft-mm-effect-encrypt, for which I
do support publication (apparently in disagreement with Martin in
that case:-)