Re: draft-dolson-plus-middlebox-benefits (was RE: Review of draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-09)

2017-04-11 23:56:21
Brian,

ECMP and LAG (often same code) in most cases indeed use 5 tuples to populate
hashing buckets for per flow load balancing.
Cheers,
Jeff
On 4/11/17, 19:26, "ietf on behalf of Brian E Carpenter"
<ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org on behalf of
brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

    On 12/04/2017 06:54, Nick Hilliard wrote:
    > Brian E Carpenter wrote:
    >> BTW I don't see ECMP or load balancing listed in section 3. Those
    >> seem to be major applications of transport layer snooping.
    >
    > no, any load balancing which needs to scale needs to be stateless, so
    > you don't want session based mechanisms handling this.

    Server load balancing is often stateful, and even stateless SLB
    usually includes transport info in the hash. Or so I learned while
    working on RFC 7098. People who know also informed me that ECMP
    sometimes (not always) uses transport info (see RFC 6438).

       Brian