Re: draft-dolson-plus-middlebox-benefits (was RE: Review of draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-09)

2017-04-11 21:26:54
On 12/04/2017 06:54, Nick Hilliard wrote:
Brian E Carpenter wrote:
BTW I don't see ECMP or load balancing listed in section 3. Those
seem to be major applications of transport layer snooping.

no, any load balancing which needs to scale needs to be stateless, so
you don't want session based mechanisms handling this.

Server load balancing is often stateful, and even stateless SLB
usually includes transport info in the hash. Or so I learned while
working on RFC 7098. People who know also informed me that ECMP
sometimes (not always) uses transport info (see RFC 6438).

   Brian