RE: [Idr] Last Call: <draft-ietf-idr-shutdown-08.txt> (BGP Administrative Shutdown Communication) to Proposed Standard

2017-05-08 14:13:57
It is deliberately kept short to minimize the potential for abuse.
We could have argued about the length. Should it be 100, 120, 127,
but it's not an argument worth wasting time on.
Not using the whole range of the length byte opens the door to using
the rest of the range to indicate a future new information field.

Thanks,
Jakob.

-----Original Message-----
From: Enke Chen (enkechen)
Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2017 8:44 PM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Cc: draft-ietf-idr-shutdown(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; idr(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
idr-chairs(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; Enke Chen (enkechen)
<enkechen(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
Subject: Re: [Idr] Last Call: <draft-ietf-idr-shutdown-08.txt> (BGP
Administrative Shutdown Communication) to
Proposed Standard

Hi, Folks:

Just spotted this (apologies for not catching it earlier):

The draft specifies only 0 - 128 as valid in the one-octet length field.
Not sure if there is a strong reason for such an apparent over-specification.

It seems to me that the spec can and should be simplified by removing the
restriction, that is, to allow any value (0 - 255) to be valid.  That would
also eliminate one error condition for the implementation.

Thanks.  -- Enke

---
2.  Shutdown Communication

Length:  this 8-bit field represents the length of the Shutdown
      Communication field in octets.  The length value MUST range from 0
      to 128 inclusive.

4.  Error Handling

   If a Shutdown Communication with an invalid Length value,
----