Re: I-D Action: draft-thomson-postel-was-wrong-01.txt

2017-06-16 00:55:54
On 2017-06-15 20:28, Bob Hinden wrote:
.. > I agree.

It also seems to me that having implementations "fail noisily in response to bad or
undefined inputs" is a great formula to making implementations very fragile and
consequently very easy to attack.  Overall, I think the approach outlined in this draft
would not have allowed us to build the current Internet.

There's a distinction between failing as in "catching fire and exploding" (bad) and "signalling an error and not processing a request" (what Martin is describing).

Bob

p.s. The file name chosen for this draft appears to be a good example of
stepping on the toes of those who came before, instead of standing on their
shoulders.  See: http://wiki.c2.com/?ShouldersOfGiants

It was an excellent way to get attention. I think it's excellent that we are having this discussion.

Best regards, Julian