Re: I-D Action: draft-thomson-postel-was-wrong-01.txt

2017-06-19 18:31:51

--On Monday, June 19, 2017 21:26 +0300 Yoav Nir
<ynir(_dot_)ietf(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

By the Postel principle, the receiver should accept this
chain. In practice I might limit it to a lower number, because
I assume nobody does that. I think it's best for the
specification to say that "MUST support a chain of at least
7 and MUST NOT send a chain longer than 7", and of course
you'd have to say that profiles may further reduce this
number (for IoT).

It seems to me that your example, and some others, suggest that
if the principle was being stated today, it would be "be
conservative about what you send and liberal about what you
accept, but nothing justifies violations of common sense or
taking actions that would create risks".  If the latter/new part
is really needed, we may be in worse trouble than with questions
about what the principle really means or even whether Jon was
right or wrong.

    john