Re: new DNS classes

2017-07-07 14:15:28
On Fri, Jul 07, 2017 at 11:27:45AM -0700, william manning wrote:
You need a better imagination then.   mDNS is a crippled DNS implementation
that was hobbled on purpose.   HS was/is an entirely different addressing
scheme that emerged from project Athena @ MIT.  To the extent that when all
you have been given is the IN class and it's associated rooted hierarchy,
you first,second,&third inclination is to treat EVERYTHING as being easily
integrated into that model.  And the ietf is going to go right along with
you.   After all, when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a
nail.

Did you read what I wrote??

The thing I'm having trouble imagining is distinct from the things that
you list that I also listed (and then lecture about as if I had no idea
what they were).  A peer-to-peer DNS might be mDNS-like without whatever
crippling you have in mind, but it's still difficult to imagine how to
organize a coherent Internet around it.  And as to web of trust, I don't
see how that would work either.  You decry my lack of imagination but
provide none of your own.

Nico