Re: new DNS classes

2017-07-07 13:41:55
[Apologies for the re-send. Using the correct address.]

On 6 Jul 2017, at 16:52, Mark Andrews wrote:

Or you could stop trying to reinforce the myth that new RR types
are hard to deploy.  They really aren't.  They actually get used
all the time.

I'm running the latest version of MacOS Server. I can't get a new RR type into the UI. Even if I use the command line "dnsconfig" tool, I can't add a record of a type it doesn't know about; I only get A, AAAA, CNAME, NS, MX, PTR, SRV, and TXT. Yes, I could go hacking around in the BIND configs that underly their implementation. And at that point I say, "New RR types are hard to deploy; not a myth." Telling me I can use a different operating system or not use a validating UI is not a reasonable response.

The fact is the DNS doesn't provide a way for implementations to dynamically update the RR types to provide sensible UI; it's left as an exercise for each individual implementer. (Yes, I know about draft-levine-dnsextlang; it doesn't seem to have gotten anywhere.) You can't much complain about the difficulty of deployment when the community won't provide the tools to make deployment easier.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478