Re: Why are we here? What are our goals?

2004-01-29 17:16:08

At 6:04 PM -0500 1/29/04, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
Nathaniel Borenstein wrote:

    -- economic mechanisms (postage, attention bonds)

One of the reason why the Internet works so well as a communications medium, is because it is cheaper than other mediums. Do we really want to introduce artificial costs into the system?

<flip-remark>
Judging by the amount of spam I get each day, some artificial costs may not be such a bad thing.
</flip-remark>

We don't see the cost of transporting email, but it surely exists. However, as we're just brainstorming here, let's not start editing the list of topics just yet.

--

john noerenberg
  According to a [1200-page!] study just released by researchers