Why are we here? What are our goals?

2004-01-29 14:30:21

[Sincere thanks to Paul for starting this list.]

As I stated on another mailing list, I'd like to see our email-ng efforts start with requirements analysis. However, I've always found it useful to start by compiling a wishlist, as raw data for requirements abstraction and tradeoff analysis. So I'd like to start a wish list of "plausible stuff it would be cool to include in email-ng." Here's what I've got so far (I don't actually advocate all of these):

        -- internationalization, esp. of addresses
        -- enhanced tracing mechanisms
        -- generalized challenge/response mechanisms
        -- transport-level authentication
        -- binary transport  (phasing out C-T-E's)
        -- Cleaner separation of header, envelope, and body
        -- structured local-part syntax
        -- economic mechanisms (postage, attention bonds)

I suggest that we try to grow this into a highly inclusive list of "desirable things" and then attempt to determine a sensible subset to work on. -- Nathaniel