RE: Why are we here? What are our goals?

2004-01-29 15:15:13

One item that I would like to add is designing in security features from the
beginning.  One of the current issues that it can be applied to bodies, but
not to things like envelope.

jim

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-mail-ng(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-mail-ng(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Nathaniel
Borenstein
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 1:30 PM
To: mail-ng(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Why are we here? What are our goals?

[Sincere thanks to Paul for starting this list.]

As I stated on another mailing list, I'd like to see our
email-ng efforts start with requirements analysis.  However,
I've always found it useful to start by compiling a wishlist,
 as raw data for requirements abstraction and tradeoff
analysis.  So I'd like to start a wish list of "plausible
stuff it would be cool to include in email-ng."
  Here's what I've got so far (I don't actually advocate all
of these):

      -- internationalization, esp. of addresses
      -- enhanced tracing mechanisms
      -- generalized challenge/response mechanisms
      -- transport-level authentication
      -- binary transport  (phasing out C-T-E's)
      -- Cleaner separation of header, envelope, and body
      -- structured local-part syntax
      -- economic mechanisms (postage, attention bonds)

I suggest that we try to grow this into a highly inclusive
list of "desirable things" and then attempt to determine a
sensible subset to
work on.    -- Nathaniel