Re: summary the discussion so far

2004-02-01 10:47:48

At 6:26 PM +0800 2/1/04, James Seng wrote:
So lets go back to IETF tradition. We need someone to write an i-d with all the concerns and requirements, and then make our discussion around that.

No, let's not.

Making an I-D would resolve the IP issues, particularly copyright consideration.

I am not a lawyer, and neither are you. Having said that, I cannot imagine how the above is true. IP issues usually fall into four categories: patents, copyrights, trademarks, and trade secrets. A message on a mailing list saying that a particular idea is good is sufficient as prior art for patents, at least in the US. You cannot copyright ideas anywhere in the world that is a signatory to the Berne Convention. It is too early for us to trademark anything, and there are no trade secrets yet.

This is *not* an IETF project. It is an independent group, at least for now. To date, the IETF method of creating requirements documents has often failed badly. (For those who were not involved with IDNS, James knows this very well from personal experience!)

Yes, IDN requirements was withdraw and was not published eventually. But the process of capturing the requirements helps to align a lot of discussion, of those within scope and those not.

And, as I said earlier, it is *way* too early for us to scope this. If you want to start being narrow, you are obviously free to; I think that is unwise for something as important as next-generation mail.

It is a useful process so long the author(s) dont get too attached to it and wants to make it into an RFC later.

...which happens almost all the time.

That's great, and it's *not* an Internet Draft. I would really prefer to see things like this than Internet Drafts, at least for many months.

Okay, lets keep it this way then if others has no objections.

Um, I wasn't suggesting that your wiki was the only way. I expect that many folks will create their own discussion areas, write their own evolving lists of requirements, and so on. From the discussion so far, it is clear that all of those will not overlap. This is a Good Thing for the beginning phases.