Re: a few short notes

2004-02-01 12:55:27

On Feb 1, 2004, at 11:13 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

Sure. But global usage also means that people who don't know how to type each of 20k+ unicode characters can administer the system.

the system supporting it doesn't imply the user has to worry about it. And in fact, may not ever see it or use it...

Dan doen we het toch in het Nederlands?

Guten Tag!

1. Screw things up beyond repair by allowing non-latin characters in fields that are relevant to mail delivery (some headers are only for human consumption, I don't care about those)
2. Use latin characters only as this is the most widely used script
3. Use numbers exclusively as every literate person on the planet can handle those

middle ground: there are some headers that are intended for consumption by computers where ISO-8859-1 or some similar format is acceptable, which I think solves your issues, but there are other headers, primarily those dealing with the PERSON, as opposed to the server or the transport, where we can't make these kinds of limitations. but that also limits the need for every computer everywhere to support an arbitrary language, although it needs to do something reasonable when it receives it. But no, I'm not suggesting that the headers be localized into Mandarin or Korean and that all computers be able to make that translation.

I think we need to, for instance, come up with a single term that defines "Message Subject", and there's no reason why that can't be represented internally in 8859-1. But that shouldn't imply that the external representation shouldn't be localized to the user's native language, or that the content of that item can't contain content in that native language.

Is that closer to what you want?

Why? what *technical* reason is there for this limitation?

Simple: not all computers support non-latin scripts.

Does the above resolve your issue here? I agree, j-random-computer shouldn't need to read Mandarin to figure out which data item is the Subject, but if the content of that data item is in Mandarin, it needs to handle it rationally (which might, in some cases, be to display that the content is unsupported).

If we can't authenticate, we can't authorize. If we can't authorize, we have the status quo. So we might as well go home. there has to be some kind of provable identity here, or we solve nothing. Exactly what that identity is can be flexible, as long as it exists.

This stuff exists today in PGP and S/MIME. However, it seems most people can live without it.

Lack of critical mass and motivation. Nobody's created a persuasive argument to "joe user" that this stuff is really useful to them, and nobody's created a version of these tools that "joe user" is sufficiently comfortable with to use. And the former could drive implementation of the latter, or the latter could lower the bar towards acceptance in the former, but so far, neither has happened. So PKI-based stuff remains isolated into a subset of the geek corps. Heck, we haven't even built systems that geeks are willing to use regularly, growing it out to the general population is a no-op. But that's a different discussion for somewhere else..

and mailing lists are increasingly going to individualized messages. I think designing for bulk delivery is the wrong direction here, and actually enables the kind of e-mail I think we're trying to discourage or stop.

Why??? Bulk delivery has many advantages and allows some anti-spam strategies that aren't applicable to one-to-one messages.

Better interaction with users, better user experience. It's nicer for the user, and that's more important than what's efficient for the computer. or it should be.

again, you have to get out of the geek crew and deal with "joe user" where I live (actually, I support email systems in both worlds, but...). Personalization is a key usability issue, especially in non-technical audiences.

Important point: as long as email is a store and forward mechanism, encrypting the transport makes little sense: encryption should be end-to-end.

to me, if there's any opportunity to cross a network in plain-text, the proposal is dead.

So what exactly does encryption do for you if you don't even know who you're talking to?

It prevents third party sniffing and man-in-the-middle attacks, to start. if nothing else, it guarantees that you're talking ONLY to whoever it is you're talking to, and that's a huge, crucial aspect of all of this.