Re: a few short notes

2004-02-02 06:52:52

On 1-feb-04, at 23:35, Martin Duerst wrote:

The question now is
whether there are more Chinese looking at Chinese addresses, or
more others like you. Counting actual individual 'views', it's
very clear that 99% or so of viewings of Chinese addresses are
by Chinese, and only the remainder by guys like you (and me :-).

So what's better, overall, to design the protocol so that Chinese
can read Chinese directly (and Japanese can read Japanese directly,
and so on), and you may have to use a somewhat special setup if
you happen to come across a Chinese address, or the other way round?
The conclusion seems to be rather obvious.

The only conclusion that's obvious is that email is a global system so requiring capabilities we can't reasonably expect to be available globally (ie, the ability to manipulate non-latin characters) is not an option.