Re: On the spam problem...

2004-02-05 01:58:47

On 5-feb-04, at 0:29, Einar Stefferud wrote:

When all senders start paying all recipients for sending, you
will be sending Internet Mail back to the days of TELEX
settlement for directional differentials.

Settlement is a very expensive business just to compute the
differentials between regions, let alone on an individual
pair-wise basis.

The mere cost of the record keeping and bookkeeping will be
far in excess of the value of sending anything.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

On the other hand, I think it would be a good idea to set up the new system such that adding something like this would be easy to do. So the actual payment stuff wouldn't be in there, but there would be a mechanism that allows B to say to A "I won't accept this message because you don't support additional capability X. For alternative ways to reach me, see Y."

The user-level requirement would be that I don't want email to fail in a way that's invisible to me, or through the use of cryptic bounce messages. (Which is a huge annoyance at the moment because opening my mailbox over GPRS costs me a fortune and takes forever due to all the bounced fakes with the worm attachments in it.) When mail delivery fails I need to know what I can do to get in touch with the recipient through mail or otherwise.