RE: On the spam problem...

2004-02-11 05:19:28

I'm not really sold on the "spam problem" being as serious as
it's made to sound.  As has been aptly argued in another thread,
the definition of what is spam lies solely with the user.  One
man's spam is another's ham.  However, the average user today
does not take advantage of even the limited control they MIGHT
have over the problem, via receive-side filters etc.  Most just
want the problem to "go away".  Another way to express this is
that they want service providers to block spam without the added
complexity that user control implies.  The REAL problem is
reducing the rate of false positives and false negatives.

My opinion is that we should add a "registered mail" facility to
allow recipients (or domains) to require the presence of a
keyed-HMAC token in their messages.  It would work like this:

1. Unsolicited e-mail from spammer(_at_)foo(_dot_)com arrives in mail server
in domain xyx.abc.com.

2. xyz.abc.com blocks delivery of the message, and sends back a
message (perhaps a new MDN type) containing an XML form
soliciting the keyed-HMAC extension, and including the secret key
for this sender.  If exclusion of automated messages is desired,
then the key can be represented as a distorted image to make
parsing difficult.

3. IFF spammer(_at_)foo(_dot_)com proves to be an accurrate address, they
will receive the form containing the key.

4. spammer(_at_)foo(_dot_)com employs the key in future messages to generate
an extension containing a keyed HMAC token that includes the
source address and a timestamp.

5. On receipt, xyz.abc.com will look up the key for
spammer(_at_)foo(_dot_)com in a local database of registered senders.

6. If the HMAC token is correct, the message passes.  If the HMAC
token if flawed, the message is blocked.  If the token extension
is absent, the MDN with XML form is sent.

7. If xyz.abc.com sends some number (exact # is a local matter)
of MDNs to spammer.foo.com, it could add spammer(_at_)foo(_dot_)com to a
local blacklist and cease responding.

8. Allow a facility for spammer(_at_)foo(_dot_)com to send an HMAC protected
extension to change their key in the local database.

This would give recipient users or domains a powerful tool to
reject mail from non-existent addresses, valid but usurped
addressed (because the usurped user won't respond to the XML
MDN), and messages from automated systems.  The approach supports
commonly desired policy constraint.  The recipient half of the
system can be implememented entirely on the server side.  The
cryptography used does not have to be extreme.  This seems to me
simple, but offering a lot of advantages.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Chris