Re: list of user-visible goals

2004-02-05 02:27:32

On 5-feb-04, at 2:29, Keith Moore wrote:

I've attempted to collect a list of user-visible goals that people have sent in and to loosely organize them. I've probably missed a few by accident. I deliberately left out a couple of goals that I couldn't see how to express from a user's point-of-view.

Anyway, take a look, and feel free to fill in any gaps you see.

What I'm missing:

- users want to be able to use email in ad-hoc environments where no servers are available and/or make use of ad-hoc environments to expedite mail delivery (especially of large messages)

- users want copies of their mail to be kept

- user don't want copies of stuff that's already sitting elsewhere to be added to their mail copy store

- users want to be sure that mail they send is delivered unaltered

- users want automated format and maybe even language conversion where appropriate

- users want to receive messages unaltered

- users want to see quotes of other messages

- users don't want to download quotes of other messages

- users want to be certain that quotes of other messages are authentic

- users want quotes of other messages to be suppressed or displayed in a particular format

- users want to be able to request copies of messages that they know exist but don't have (accidentally deleted, older message when new to mailinglist)

- users want to know what happened to messages in transit

- users don't want all kinds of mail programs to insert their life history into messages leading to excessive headers

- users want to be notified *immediately* when they have new mail without having to activily check for it continously