Re: user-visible goals

2004-02-24 19:07:14

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:01:56AM -0500, Bruce Lilly wrote:
Users want a solution to today's problems with email as it currently is
implemented, especially spam and email-borne worms and viruses. They
want such a solution immediately.

Then this is probably the wrong list for that.
IRTF ASRG may be a better place.

Other things, such as tie-ins with
instant messaging, etc. can wait.  We already have a number of conflicting
goals; in order to produce something in a timely manner, we might well
have to defer resolving some of those conflicts, i.e. the solution
will be incomplete.

I don't think the goal of this list is a hackerish quick 'n dirty
SMTP replacement and also "timely" is a rather vague term.

Isn't one person's "extension" another person's "patch"?  If not,
what is the distinction?  Is ESMTP an "extension" or a "patch" to
SMTP?

Neither is a topic for this list. This list isn't about fixing (E)SMTP
it is about something completely new. Hence the name  Next Generation.
There are a lot of modifications to SMTP available as drafts from the
IETF I-D repository.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299