Re: user-visible goals

2004-02-03 22:52:24

Personally,

Doesn't this basically say that MAIL-NG is not concern about the contract,
business or relationship, as well for the method or form of communication
between a author/recepient, but more about the priverledge of the
"messenger" to use a MAIL-NG compliant system to facilitate the
communication between the two?

Maybe we should just get back to basics here.

Unless we are avocating a "Totally Integrated Hosting System" such as  a
BBS,  we need to remember the following additional requirements to be
considered:

    - Should offer easy support for "standalone passthru operations"
    - Should offer easy support for "standalone hosting operations"
    - Should offer easy support for "integrated hosting/passthru operations"

In other words:

There will be implementations that will want to just be concerned with
secured and trusted transport of data and necessarily interested on what the
user business is.

And by the same token, there will be implementations that are integrated one
way or another with a larger framework who may offer user options to define
such functionality  and its commercial oriented, it is quite possible that
"company email" is restricted only to trusted relationship and vendor
contacts.

The question is should this be an inherent functional requirement for
mail-ng.

I personally do not think so.  but it should be OFFERED in the form of an
extended interface feature.  With that said, I offer a new requirement
considerations:

    - Should offer easy support for "extended commands"  (i.e., like FTP
QUOTE/SITE commands)

which are 100% geared toward specific integrated implementations.

http://www.santronics.com