[mail-vet-discuss] Re: Auth-Results issues? #8 secton 5.1

2006-04-19 15:41:14
Tony Hansen wrote:
In section 5.1, it says:

5.1.  Legacy MUAs
 [...]
Wow. I know you're trying to deal with legacy MUAs. But this is placing
a recommendation onto the MTA to do something wrong to work around a
possible problem with any MUAs that *may* be connected to that MTA. Yuck.

This was a specific (and perhaps bad) example of what I think is actually a good idea, namely using existing means to communicate results to MUAs that haven't yet (and may never) add support for the A-R header. How about including something more generic which pushes that idea but makes no specific suggestions?

I chose "Priority" in this case because there are examples of MUAs that can change the colour of a message in its mailbox summary page. Certainly though I didn't want to subvert its other uses.

For example, there's some header "hack" you can use to make a a line appear in bright red with a flag next to it in Outlook, though I forget exactly what it is. Someone implementing a verifier who knows he'll only be protecting Outlook boxes might want to exploit that to draw attention to likely forgeries, until Outlook actually supports A-R.