Re: [mail-vet-discuss] Draft as of 9/4/2007

2007-09-06 10:48:56
Murray, a few comments.

Will there ever be any reason to extend the ABNF for either "result" or "ptype"? If so, I suggesting adding new "x-result" and/or "x-ptype" for future extension, with explicit language saying what an interpreter should do with values that it doesn't understand. Alternatively, don't add the x-* fields but explicitly say that interpreters MUST ignore the entire header field if they do not recognize a value. Or perhaps say that they should ignore that clause but interpret the rest of the header field if they can. The point is to define whatever interpretation should be universal in the face of future extensions.

The name "authres-id" seems to imply to me to be unique across all space and time (for example, like Message-Id). But it looks like it is really identifying the authentication service instead of the authentication results. If so, I suggest changing the name to "authserv-id" or some similar to avoid confusion.

One small ABNF glitch (at least, maybe):

   header = "Authentication−Results:" [CFWS] authres−id
              *([CFWS] ";" methodspec propspec )

This does not permit something like:

Specifically, if CFWS is present then "; methodspec propspec" MUST be present. I propose that this be fixed by changing it to:

   header = "Authentication−Results:" [CFWS] authres−id
              [CFWS] *(";" methodspec propspec [CFWS])

In the definition of token, I suggest importing it from section 5.1 of RFC 2045 rather than Appendix A. I believe 5.1 is the normative definition; Appendix A is the "collected BNF" and is, I believe, technically informational.

Tiny glitch: in section 3 you define "border MTA" to be "the first MTA which is listed as a mail exchanger (MX) for the recipient domain." This is not the same as the definition in section 1.3, and is also unclear (at least to me). Does this mean "the lowest numbered MX"? Then what does it mean if you have several "best" MXes? What if you had:

example.com    IN    MX   0  a1.mail.example.com
              IN    MX   10 b1.mail.example.com

where the intent is that either a1 or b1 works and does the full job, but b1 is supposed to act purely as a backup? It looks like a1 would be a border MTA but b1 would not. I think you can fix this by just deleting the sentence in section 3.

Section 5 says that relaying MTAs SHOULD NOT add an A-R header field, even if they actually do check the results and take actions on the basis of the results. That seems like it can create a mystery. I suggest either changing the text or adding an explanation for this behavior.

Section 6.2, I suggest naming the registry explicitly. Right now it is implicitly named "Method Registry", which makes no sense out of context. For example, it might be called "Email Authentication Method Name Registry".

That's all I could find today....

eric