Re: [mail-vet-discuss] What is the A-R header really for?

2007-10-16 14:34:37
Eliot Lear wrote:
So I think in summary we need clearer text on the applicability of this
header, the jist of which should be that MUAs SHOULD NOT in general
process it as authentic information.

Not at all. MUAs shouldn't just *display* the results of A-R as an
indication of goodness/badness of the sender. However, it can certainly
process the A-R information and *combine* it with reputation and/or
accreditation information in order to generate something that CAN be
displayed to the end user.

        Tony Hansen
        tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com

I still believe that certain environments SHOULD strip out others'
headers, but this is environment specific. As John wrote, MTAs will
do what they will do.

None of this obviates the need for more work on mailing list exploders
and the like that Charles alludes to.