Re: [mail-vet-discuss] What is the A-R header really for?

2007-10-16 17:06:03
Michael Thomas wrote:
Eric Allman wrote:
True, you could combine the A-R value with reputation in the MUA, but that implies that you're going to have some at least moderately sophisticated code in the MUA --- sophisticated enough that it can figure out which A-R fields are appropriate. And I believe (i.e., it is my opinion) that in most cases combining reputation results will come before the MUA.
One could use A-R to include reputation query results as well, declaring "reputation" as a method. Then the MUA or filtering agent could use simpler rule sets to use the A-R data to put both DKIM and reputation results together to make a rendering or filtering decision.

Ah, yes. That I totally agree with. That's part of why I'm so wary of passing
cross-domain auth-res downstream is that somebody could easily get fooled
due to the limited nature of those filtering capabilities. But it's not hard to
envision, say, a Thunderbird plugin that does those things. I think that
environment is pretty rich in comparison.
I think I concur; I believe common MUAs like Thunderbird and filtering agents like procmail will quickly adapt once this or some other means of relaying authentication and reputation data become widespread.