Re: [mail-vet-discuss] Preview of draft-09

2007-11-05 15:42:26
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 11:14:49 -0800 "Murray S. Kucherawy"
<msk(_at_)sendmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:
SM wrote:
If this memo replaces the Received-SPF header, then it changes the
requirements on an existing protocol.
SPF is an experimental protocol.  Thus, I'm not sure this is a big
deal.  Anyone else want to weigh in?

Yes.  SPF is an ongoing open source project with ongoing development.
There are multiple implementations that support the current Received-SPF
header field.  I'm personally a maintainer on two applications and one
library that would be impacted.

Experimental or not, it is a deployed protocol and Received-SPF is part of
it.

It would be sensible, I think for now, to define SPF support here as an
optional addition or adjunct to the protocol defined in RFC 4408.  Once a
multi-method standardized header field exists (as defined here), it's use
could be part of the transition from experimental to something else.

Scott K